Skip to content
Site Tools
Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color blue color green color
Home Living in China China Living Tips
China Living Tips
How Could a Foreigner with Little or No Knowledge About Chinese Language Get Legal Aid If He/She Hap
Communication & Others
If you are an overseas visitor in Beijing and happen to have a query about Chinese laws, answers are now just one call away.

According to sources with the Beijing Bureau of Justice, English-speakers should dial 1600148 and then follow the instruction for legal consultations provided in English.

Follow-up legal services can also be arranged for foreigners if they find the consultation satisfactory.
How to Hire a Local Maid (Ayi) to Take Care of Your Home and Children?
Communication & Others
Many foreigners who live in China hire a local maid -- or ayi - to take care of their homes, children and pets.

Ayis can work either part-time and full-time. Part-time Ayis may work for several families a day while full-time Ayis work five to 10 hours a day, depending on the amount of housework and may live in your house.

With an hourly pay ranging from 7 yuan (88 US cents) to 15 yuan or more (the price may differ from place to place), you may find a dutiful part-time Ayi to accomplish most of your daily housework, and cook good Chinese food for you every day.
How to give gifts in China
Communication & Others

It is important to know that gifts are a major part of the Chinese culture. For example, the Chinese would much rather reciprocate a gift with another gift than to send a ‘thank you'card. When visiting someone in China, especially if you are a guest in their house, it is imperative that you bring a gift (whatever the monetary value) to show respect to the host.

What Is the Electrical Fitting in China?
Communication & Others
If you are planning on using a foreign electrical device in China you may need a plug-in adaptor and a voltage converter.

Electrical current in China is 220V and 50Hz AC. To choose the proper voltage converter first check the labeling of your electrical device(s) to find out the voltage and wattage. You need a voltage converter that can handle a higher or equal wattage than that of the device that it is to be used with. You should also bring your surge protector in order to safeguard sensitive and expensive items such as laptops against power surges.
Table Manners in China
Communication & Others

Of course, the main difference on the Chinese dinner table is chopsticks instead of knife and fork, but that's only superficial. Besides, in decent restaurants, you can always ask for a pair of knife and fork, if you find the chopsticks not helpful enough. The real difference is that in the West, you have your own plate of food, while in China the dishes are placed on the table and everyone shares. If you are being treated to a formal dinner and particularly if the host thinks you're in the country for the first time, he will do the best to give you a taste of many different types of dishes.
The meal usually begins with a set of at least four cold dishes, to be followed by the main courses of hot meat and vegetable dishes. Soup then will be served (unless in Guangdong style restaurants) to be followed by staple food ranging from rice, noodles to dumplings. If you wish to have your rice to go with other dishes, you should say so in good time, for most of the Chinese choose to have the staple food at last or have none of them at all.

<< Start < Prev 21 22 23 24 Next > End >>

Page 23 of 24

Sponsor Ads

China Yellow Pages