Skip to content
Site Tools
Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color blue color green color
Home Travel in Hebei Baoding: the South Gate of the Capital Beijing
Baoding: the South Gate of the Capital Beijing
Travel in Hebei

 Baoding Gu Lian Hua Chi

Baoding (bǎo dìng 保定) served for many years as the capital of Hebei (hé běi 河北) province. It acquired the name "Baoding" during the Yuan dynasty, and the name is roughly interpreted as "protecting the capital", referring to the city's proximity to Beijing. It has a long history tracing back to the Western Han Dynasty (xī hàn 西汉). It was destroyed by the Mongol (měng gǔ 蒙古) in the 13th century, but after the Mongol established the Yuan Dynasty (yuán cháo 元朝), it was rebuilt. The city's streets follow a rough grid pattern, although this is less obvious in the older part of the city. The traditional main street of old Baoding is Yuhua Road (yù huá lù 裕华路), running from the city's centre to its eastern edge and most of Baoding's historic buildings are located in this area, along with some of its larger shopping centres.

BailixiaScenic Spots
Yesanpo (yě sān pō 野三坡) scenic district is located in Hebei Province. Bailixia (bǎi lǐ xiá 百里峡) Gorge is the most attractive and beautiful attraction of the Yesanpo scenic district. It is 105 meters at its deepest point and covers about 110 square kilometers. This spot is known as "Nature's Studio" because of its beautiful mountains and valleys. Bailixia is referred to as "the first gorge in the world (tiān xià dì yī xiá 天下第一峡)" In the spring, grasses grow rampantly, birds sing cheerfully, and flowers bloom riotously; In the fall, the mountain wears a deep red hue of maple leaves. There is a 600-step staircase that will lead you to the top of Bailixia or you can take the cable car. When you stand on the top of Bailixia, you will truly see its towering splendor and unique beauty. Precipitous as it is, climbing is welcomed. Surrounded by such a charming place, you can't help but feel that the “landscape here is indeed unique”. It is really a gift from nature.

Take NO.917 bus at Tianqiao (tiān qiáo 天桥) go to Shidu (shí dù 十渡) or Zhangfang (zhāng fáng 张坊), and then you can take the bus to Yesanpo.
Tel: 0312-4568106, 0312-4563295

Zijingguan PassLocated 45 kilometers northwest of Yixian County in Hebei Province, Zijingguan Pass (zǐ jīng guān 紫荆关) of the Great Wall occupies an important strategic position with the Juma River (jù mǎ hé 拒马河) flowing swiftly to the north. It lies at the foot of Wanren Mountain (wàn rèn shān 万仞山) in the east and Xiniu Mountain (xī niú shān 犀牛山) in the west. There is currently no record of when the pass was originally built. Historians only know that the pass was called Wuyuan pass [wǔ yuán guān 五阮 (元) 关] in the East Han Dynasty. It was later renamed for the red bud trees growing in the mountain. Extensive restoration and reconstruction was made during the Ming Dynasty. This pass is one of the three most important passes in heartland China. Together with Juyongguan Pass (jū yōng guān 居庸关) and Daomaguan Pass (dǎo mǎ guān 倒马关), it is famed as one of the "Three Inside Passes (nèi sān guān 内三关)".
Zijingguan Pass is significant in Chinese history. Since it is one of the two passes to heartland China from the North of the Great Wall, the northern tribes had to capture this pass to enter central China. According to historical documents, around 140 battles were fought here.

There has more than 10 bus leading to Zijingguan from Yixian County every day.
Tel: 0312-8227056
Ticket: RMB 20

          The Western Qing Mausoleums

The Western Qing Mausoleums (qīng xī líng 清西陵) are located at the southern foot of the Yongning Mountains (yǒng níng shān 永宁山) in Yixian, Hebei Province, 125 kilometers southwest of Beijing. The Mausoleum is lies in a hilly region of great natural beauty and has a circumference of more than 100 kilometers. The Zijing Pass in the west, the ancient Yihe River (yì shuǐ hé 易水河) in the south and the former site of the secondary capital of the Kingdom of Yan (yān xià dū gù chéng zhǐ 燕下都故城址) in the east border it.
The whole Mausoleum complex contains the tombs of four Qing emperors, three empresses, seven princes and a number of imperial concubines. The buildings occupy an area of over 500,000 square meters and were constructed over the course of two centuries.
The principal tomb of this imperial burial ground is the Tailing Mausoleum (tài líng 泰陵) of Emperor Yongzheng (yōng zhèng 雍正 reigned 1723-1735). It is the largest, earliest and most complete tomb among these and the centre of the Western Qing Mausoleums. Changling (chāng líng 昌陵) is the mausoleum of Emperor Jiaqing (jiā qìng 嘉庆 reigned 1796-1820). The main building is very similar inside to Tailing. Muling (mù líng 慕陵) is the mausoleum of Emperor Daoguang (dào guāng 道光 reigned 1821-1850). The scale is not as large as the former two tombs, but it is no less ostentatious and enchanting. Chongling (chóng líng 崇陵) is the mausoleum of Emperor Guangxu (guāng xù 光绪 reigned 1875-1908), it is small in size and the last one to be constructed.

There has bus leading to The Western Qing Mausoleums at Lizeqiao (lì zé qiáo 丽泽桥) Bus station every half an hour.
Tel: 0312-8227056
Ticket: RMB 90

Changxin Palace Lantern Mancheng Han Tombs (mǎn chéng hàn mù 满城汉墓) lies on Lingshan Mountain (líng shān 陵山), 1.5 kilometers southwest of the Mancheng County (mǎn chéng xiàn 满城县). They are the tombs of Liu Sheng (liú shèng 刘胜), Prince Jing of Zhongshan State (zhōng shān jìng wáng 中山靖王), and his wife Dou Wan (dòu wǎn 窦绾). It is a cultural relic under state protection. Mancheng Han Tombs is famous for top quantity of unearthed cultural relics and large quantity of excellent ones. The tombs were unearthed at the end of the 19605. 10,633 cultural relics were unearthed, of which 4,000 are excellent ones, such as the world-famous "Jade Suit Sewn With Gold Thread (jīn lǚ yù yī 金缕玉衣)", "Changxin Palace Lantern (cháng xìn gōng dēng 长信宫灯)", and "Boshan Incense Burner Inlaid With Gold Decorations (cuò jīn bó shān lú 错金博山炉)".

Jade Suit Sewn With Gold Thread The tombs of Liu Sheng and his wife are large rock-tombs made by punching (chòng kǒng 冲孔) holes into the mountain. One tomb is in the south and the other is in the north but they are parallel with each other. The form and structure of the two tombs are almost the same. They are both made up of tomb passage, aisle, south side room, north side room, central room and back room. Of all the Han tombs, Mancheng Han Tombs are the only rock tombs.

Take NO.10 bus at Baoding and get off at the mouth of Mancheng Han Tombs, it is only 150m away from Mancheng Han Tombs.
Tel: 0312-7160208
Enter the scenic district: RMB 5; The tomb of liusheng: RMB 20; The tomb of Gouwan: RMB 20 (Visit both tombs: RMB 30)

             Zhili Provincial Governor's Office

Zhili Provincial Governor's Office (zhí lì zǒng dū shǔ 直隶总督署) is located in central Baoding, Hebei Province. It is the only completely preserved provincial governor’s office of the Qing Dynasty, one of the four stations on the international special sightseeing line of the provincial governor’s office in feudal China and a cultural relic under state protection. Built in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), Zhili Provincial Governor's Office served as a government office throughout the Ming, Qing (1644-1911) and early Republic of China (zhōng huá mín guó 中华民国) periods. Its arrangement has the distinct features of a Northern government office.

Zhili Provincial Governor's Office The present construction was rebuilt during Emperor Yongzheng's reign in the Qing Dynasty. Sitting in the north and facing south, the compound's gate, middle gate, main hall, side hall, official residence and main rooms are built on a central axis. There are five rows of buildings each containing wing rooms. Each of the three back rows has a side yard where the parlor and office are connected by corridors. There are 105 rooms in all. Great relics of the Qing Dynasty, such as two stone tablets, a pair of stone lions and masts, can be found in and around the office area.

Take NO.1 or NO.4 bus at Baoding and get off at Gu Lian Hua Chi (gǔ lián huā chí 古莲花池)
Tel: 0312-2015515
Ticket: RMB 20
Opening hours: 8:00-17:30