Skip to content
Site Tools
Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color blue color green color
Home Travel in Hubei Ancient Longzhong
Ancient Longzhong

         Ancient Longzhong
Ancient Longzhong
(gǔ lóng zhōng 古隆中) is the residence of Zhuge Liang (zhū gě liàng 诸葛亮), an outstanding statesman and strategist during the Three Kingdoms (sān guó 三国) period. It is situated 13 kilometers to the west of Xiangfan (xiāng fán 襄樊) City, covering 12 square kilometers. Nowadays Ancient Longzhong is a scenic area with rich cultural, humanistic landscape, exquisite natural environment and commemorative architecture.

History of “Three Visits to the Thatched Cottage” (sān gù máo lú 三顾茅庐)
Zhuge LiangZhuge Liang (181 - 234), whose courtesy name is Kongming (kǒngmíng 孔明), was an outstanding statesman and strategist during the Three Kingdoms period. He was born in Langya (láng yá 琅琊), at present-day Yishui (yí shuǐ沂水) County, Shangdong (shān dōng 山东) Province.
In 207, when Zhuge Liang was 27 years old,Liu Bei (liú bèi 刘备) visited him for three times at Longzhong to make inquires about the strategies of unifying China which was called “ make three calls at the thatched cottage ” in history. Zhuge Liang soon presented his famous Longzhong Plan (lóng zhōng duì 隆中对) before Liu. The plan envisaged that Liu Bei would take over Jing (jīng 荆) and Yi (yì 益) provinces as a base and form an alliance with Sun Quan (sūn quán 孙权) in order to deter and resist the more powerful and intimidating Cao Cao (cáo cāo 曹操). The plan also stressed on the institution of reforms on economy, law and administration. After listening to Zhuge Liang’s thorough penetrating analysis, Liu Bei accepted his strategies, thinking that Zhuge Liang was talented. Thereupon he requested him to assist him to revive Han (hàn 汉) Dynasty.

The Ancient Longzhong Arch (gǔ lóng zhōng pái fāng 古隆中牌坊)
                    The Ancient Longzhong Arch
The Ancient Longzhong Arch
(gǔ lóng zhōng pái fāng 古隆中牌坊) was built in 1898 of Qing (qīng 清) Dynasty. There are three Chinese characters on the middle of the front side “古隆中"(Ancient Longzhong). And on the two sides of the arch, there is the well-know sayings of Zhuge Liang, “live a simple life to show one's goal in life; live simply to express one's ambition”(dàn bó míng zhì, níng jìng zhì yuǎn 淡泊明志,宁静致远). And on the two pillars in the middle place, there engraved with the two lines of the famous poet Du Fu. And on the back of the arch, there are five Chinese characters “三代下一人" (sān dài xià yì rén), which means that Zhuge Liang is the only great person in thousands of years, and there is no one in history comparable to him.

Wuhou Temple (wǔ hóu cí 武侯祠)
Wuhou TempleWuhou Temple (wǔ hóu cí 武侯祠) was first built in Eastern Jin (dōng jìn 东晋) Dynasty, and was rebuilt in Ming (míng 明) Dynasty. It is a traditional courtyard with wooden structure and brick walls. And the ridge of the temple is with carving ornamentation. It is simple but elegant and with unique local characteristics. In front of the temple, there sits a pair of stone lion, vivid and delicate.


Sangu HallSangu Hall (sān gù táng 三顾堂)
Built in 1720 during Qing Dyansty, the Sangu Hall (sān gù táng 三顾堂) is the memorial hall for the three visits of Liu Bei. There is a lotus pond and bamboos around the hall. It is said that the old cypress which Liu Bei’s horse tied to when he visited Zhuge Liang is still in front of the door. There are various ancient steles which are with high research value in the hall.

Caolu PavilionCaolu Pavilion (cǎo lú tíng 草庐亭)
The Caolu Pavilion (cǎo lú tíng 草庐亭) was built during Qing Dynasty. Originally, here was the relics of Caolu Pavilion. However, it was destroyed by King Xiangjian (xiāng jiǎn wáng 襄简王) in Ming Dynasty for he appreciated the scenery of Longzhong, and then built his bomb. And in the year 1794 during Qing Dynasty, a minister built the Caolu Pavilion on the relics so as to commemorate Zhuge Liang.

Laolong CaveBaoxi Pavilion (bào xī tíng 抱膝亭)
Baoxi Pavilion (bào xī tíng 抱膝亭), which is a three-storied hexagonal pavilion, is located in Longzhong Mountain (lóng zhōng shān 隆中山). It was built in 1888 . When tourists come here, they always think about the scene when Zhuge Liang was reciting in this pavilion.

Laolong Cave (lǎo lóng dòng 老龙洞)
Located at the foot of Longzhong Mountain, Laolong Cave (lǎo lóng dòng 老龙洞) is a spring cave with a long history. Zhuge Liang used the spring to irrigate the field when he was bury himself in the country.

 

Ancient Longzhong
Location: 13 kilometers to the west of Xiangfan City, Hubei Province
Ticket: RMB 60
Opening time: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Traffic:
You can take the No. 512 bus in Xiangfan City to get to the Ancient Longzhong bus station, but you have to walk 600 to 700 meters to get to the Ancient Longzhong Scenic Area when you get off the bus. 
Tips:
Since Tang (tang 唐) Dynasty Jingxiang (jīng xiāng 荆襄) area had formed a custom of “March 3 in Spring (according to Lunar Calendar), appreciate peonies in Longzhong Mountain”.Compared to Luoyang (luò yang 洛阳) and Heze (hé zé 菏泽), the peonies of Longzhong blooms one month ahead of time. Longzhong becomes our country’s wild peony protection base. To appreciate peonies in April is a good choice.

Last Updated on Friday, 02 October 2009 08:41