Skip to content
Site Tools
Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color blue color green color
Home
Zhoukou

Zhoukou City




















Situated in the southeast of Henan Province (hé nán shěng 河南省), Zhoukou (zhōu kǒu 周口) City neighbors Luohe (luò hé 漯河) and Xuchang (xǔ chāng 许昌) in the west, Zhumadian (zhù mǎ diàn 驻马店) in the south, and Kaifeng (kāi fēng 开封) and Shangqiu (shāng qiū 商丘) in the north. It also shares a boundary with Anhui Province (ān huī shěng 安徽省) in the east.


Overview

Ancient Zhoukou BuildingSituated in the southeast of Henan Province, Zhoukou has a population of 10.65 million and an area of 11,190 km². Bordering Anhui Province to the east, it has 8 counties, 1 city and 1 district under its administration. As a cradle of Chinese civilizations, Zhoukou boasts of a long history and historical heritages. Around 6,000 years ago it was densely populated and many villages were sprouted. The "Three Emperors" in ancient time, namely, Fuxi (fú xī 伏羲), Nvwa (nǚ wā 女娲) and Shen Nong (shén nóng 神农) established their capitals here. The founding father of Taoism, Lao Zi (lǎo zǐ 老子) was born in Luyi (lù yì 鹿邑) County, Zhoukou. Chen Sheng, born in Shangshui County and Wu Guang, born in Taikang County, established the Zhangchu Regime in Chen (current Huaiyang County). The academy established by Cheng Hao, a well-known Confucius disciple and philosopher, is now well preserved. Plenty of ancient ruins, cultural heritages, as well as beautiful legends have been left in Zhoukou. According to the archeological study, there are over 200 cultural heritage sites, including 100 Neolithic sites, 14 sites of Peiligang and Yangshao Culture, 23 sites of Dawenkou Culture and 79 sites of Longshan Culture. In conclusion, Zhoukou is the place from where the Chinese culture originated, including surnames, agriculture, husbandry as well as medicine.


History

Beautiful ZhoukouThe long history and brilliant culture has left many places of scenic beauty and historical interests, which have formed a wealth of touristic resources. In this key region of the Chinese ancient culture, there is Taihao Mausoleum (tài hào líng 太昊陵), the resting place of Fuxi, the first of "Three Emperors". It covers an area of 58 hectares. The layout of the mausoleum has put the main houses in the first two yards on the same axis. All the grand halls are covered with golden glazed tiles and lend an imposing view. Huaguatai, a platform where Fuxi observed the sky and the earth and predicted future events, is surrounded by balustrades and age-old ever-green cypresses.

In 1984, the sacred white stone turtle, which was used by Fuxi, was unearthed in the area near the platform. Pingliangtai (píng liáng tái 平粮台) the ruins of ancient Wanqiu (wǎn qiū 宛丘) Town around 4,600 years ago, is the earliest town that has been discovered in China. The Taiqing Palace, where Lao Zi taught himself, followed the design of the imperial palace of Chang'an. The stele of Xiantian queen dowager, erected to extol the mother of Zhenzong of Song Dynasty, still stands. The Laojuntai (lǎo jūn tái 老君台), where Lao Zi achieved his immortalization, shows a beauty of solemnity and simplicity. Nvwa town in Xihua County, where it was once the capital of Nvwa, one of the "Three Emperors", has gained its reputation for business and tourism. Ji Hongchang Memorial Hall in Fugou County is a witness of the great achievements of the heroes. The Temple Saint Guan Yu (guān yǔ 关羽) in Zhoukou, well preserved, is a cluster of ancient buildings Pingliangtai Scenic Spotwhich show the essence of ancient arts of architecture, sculpture, painting, metallurgy and so on. The Former Residence of Yuan Shikai (yuán shì kǎi 袁世凯; a president of Republic of China) is featured by contemporary folk houses in Central China. The ancient Nandun Town is exquisitely constructed. The Jianzhi Park of Huaiyang features the presence of varied shapes of pine and cypress trees. In the park, there are pavilions, towers, terraces and all kinds of animals ranging from birds to beasts. The Huancheng Lake of Huaiyang is twice the size of West Lake in Hangzhou with a water area of 1, 600 hectares. The newly built scenic spot-5,000-year China Attraction, mirrors the Chinese history. The modeled Great Wall contains Zhonghua Tower, the passes along the Wall, etc. In addition, more than 10,000 stone, mud, and jade statures of kings, generals, and important figures from Chinese history are arranged in different halls in the modeled wall.

Since the reform and opening-up, the Zhoukou tourism has made great strides. The attraction construction has been accelerated. With relevant services improved, Zhoukou enjoys convenient transportation and telecommunication. There are 4 star-rated hotels with modern facilities. Equipped with a quality team and excellent service, 4 travel agencies in Zhoukou have provided tourism routs such as A Trip of Lao Zi Culture, A Trip of Fuxi Culture, A Trip of Sceneries in central China, A Trip following Confucius' route and so on.


Geographic and climatic features

Zhoukou TerrainZhoukou belongs to the Huanghuai Plain (huáng huái píng yuán 黄淮平原) with its flat and broad land. The terrain slopes gently from the northwest to the southeast. The city enjoys a warm, temperate, continental monsoon climate with an annual average temperature of 15℃ (59℉). It has four distinct seasons. Spring is windy, and the temperature varies greatly during the day and night. Summer is hot and rainy, while the winter is chilly and dry.


Attractions

Guandi Temple

Guandi TempleGuandi Temple (guān dì miào 关帝庙) just likes a frozen history, recording the prosperity of the business and economy of Zhoukou in former days. The original name of Guandi Temple is "Shanxia Assembly Hall". The construction of Guandi Temple started in the 33rd year of Kangxi Period (AD 1693). In the periods of Qianlong and Jiaqing, Guandi Temple was expanded in construction in a large scale. To the 16th year of Daoguang Period (AD 1832), the construction was completed, lasted for 145 years. The distance from the east to south is 105 meters, and 158 meters from the north to the south. Guandi Temple occupies an area of 12,590 square kilometers (more than 20 mu). The whole architecture complex was constructed along the axis of the south and north. There are three courtyards located in the depth of this architecture. The structure of Guandi Temple is precise and with great verve.

Location: North Shahe Bridge, Zhongzhou Road, Fugou County, Zhoukou City
Tel: 0394-8592826
Transportation: Take Bus No.4 at Zhoukou Train Station to get to the temple.
Opening Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admission Fee: CNY30


Taihao Mausoleum

Lies in the bank of the ancient bank of Caihe River, Taihao Mausoleum (tài hào líng 太昊陵) is a resplendent and magnificent palace-style ancient architectural complex, the constructions in the mausoleum are grand and the palaces are lofty. The ancient cypresses are reaching the sky and the pine trees are evergreen.

Taihao Mausoleum Taihao Fuxi is one of the earliest legendary rulers of keen intelligence and excellent judgment. He is "The Top of The Hundreds of Emperors", among the Three Emperors and in the top position of the Five Sovereigns. Thanks to his intelligence and wisdom, he has made great contributions to the transition of matriarchy to patriarchal society, the transition of barbarism to civilization. Thus, the offspring call him "Primogenitor", "Originator of Civilization".

The existing constructions in the mausoleum are the architecture in the Ming Dynasty (AD 1368–1644). The structure is similar to the imperial palace of Ming Dynasty (AD 1368–1644). It can be divided into the outward city and the inside city, the inside city is called the Forbidden City and the outward city is called imperial city. Inside the city, the ancient cypresses are standing along the street, numerous inscriptions erecting and the tolls and drumbeat can be heard from the distant. Tongtian Hall can also be called as audience hall or the front hall. Occupying an area of 390 square kilometers, it is the biggest building in the mausoleum. Inside the hall, there are high shrines and the statue of Fuxi, surrounded by the statues of Shennong, the Yellow Emperor, Shaohao and Zhuan Xu. With a height of more than twenty meters, the perimeter of the Taihao Mausoleum is 150 meters. The crest of Taihao Mausoleum is circular and the bottom is foursquare, symbolize the concept of "Hemispherical Dome Cosmology". A stone inscription of Song Dynasty (AD 960–1279) is erecting in the front of the mausoleum. It is one meter in width and five meters in height. The characters of "The Mausoleum of Taihao Fuxi" are carved on the stone inscription. It is said that the inscription is made by Suxiaomei with a piece of cloth.

Location: 1.5 kilometers north of Huaiyang County, Zhoukou City
Tel: 0394-2693610
Transportation: It costs CNY20 from Kaifeng by bus, CNY8 from Zhoukou. Please remember to ask the driver or conductor to remind you to get off the bus in Taihao Mausoleum. Be sure asking the correct direction. Three minutes' walk will arrive to it.
Opening Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. in summer ; 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. in winter
Admission Fee: CNY60


Taiqing Palace

Taiqing PalaceThe surname of Lao Zi (lǎo zǐ 老子) is Li, and his name is Er. He styled himself Baoyang. After his death, his posthumous title is Dan. He was born in Lixiangqurenli (lì xiāng qǔ rén lǐ 厉乡曲仁里; now Taiqing Palace of Luyi County) of Ku County of Chu State in the later years of the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 BC). Taiqing means heaven for Taoists. It is said that Taiqing Palace (tài qīng gōng 太清宫) is the place where supernatural beings live. So, Taoism always named their palace after Taiqing. Established in the 8th year of Emperor Yanxi period of Eastern Han Dynasty (AD 165), the memorial building of the native place of Lao Zi was called Lao Zi Temple at first, and then it was changed into Memorial Temple of Lao Zi. The founder of Tang Dynasty (AD 619-906), Liyuan, worshiped Lao Zi as the grandfather and named Lao Zi Temple as Tai Temple. He built imperial palaces and halls. In the 30th year of Kaiyuan of Tang Dynasty (AD 619-906), Lilongji changed "Ziji Palace" into Taiqing Palace officially till now.

A View Of Taiqing Palace There are five hundred meters between the front palace and the back palace of Taiqing Palace. In the middle of the two palaces, the Qingjing River, which means "peaceful and tranquil" according to Lao Zi, runs from the east to the west. Over the Qingjing River, Huixian Bridge connects the front palace and the back palace. The two palaces occupy an area of 872 mu. More than 600 buildings in various styles and numerous halls boast magnificent and splendid scenery. The center of the front palace is Taiji Hall. The relic of Lao Zi MuniuChang is in the east, the relic of Yingyang Mountain is in the west, and Jiubujing Well is in the middle of the front palace. They are all existent now. The statue of Lao Zi is standing in the hall. An iron pillar inside the hall is 15 meters in height and 25 centimeters in diameter, people call it "Ganshanbian". Actually, it is a symbol of the duty of "Zhuxiashi" of Lao Zi. After the "Jingkang Uprising", Taiqing Palace was destroyed by the peasant uprising for several times. But it was rebuilt in the coming dynasties.

Location: 5 kilometres east of Luyi County, Zhoukou City
Tel: 0394-7681989
Transportation: Take a coach at Zhoukou Railway Station and get off at Luyi County
Opening Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Admission Fee: CNY60


Specialty

Kongji Stewed chicken


Kongji Stewed chickenKongji Stewed chicken (kǒng jí shāo jī 孔集烧鸡) has a long history, and the color is yellow with some sense of red. The savory meat is pulpy, fleshy but not greasy, while the tendon of the chicken is crisp. People can even eat the bone of the tender chicken; however, the meat of the tough chicken is separated from the bone. Even in midsummer, there will be no fly to bite the chicken, so the dish can be stored for several days without rotting. Kongji Stewed chicken can warm people's body, dispel the chilliness, strengthen the spleen and stimulate the appetite.


Transportation

Railway

The west of Zhoukou is next to the Beijing-Guangzhou Railway. The XuChang-Dancheng Narrow-gauge Railway goes through from the east to the west in the north of Zhoukou. In the south, the Fuyang-Luohe Railway goes through Zhoukou. The Zhoukou-Luohe Highway starts from Beijing to Zhuhai Highway in the west and connects to the Zhoukou-Jieshou Highway, which is under construction in the east. It is an important channel for Zhoukou to connect with the Middle and East areas. The sections of Shenqiu-Zhoukou-Zhengzhou Highway are all under construction by stages.

The local Luofu railway line stretches 112 kilometers in the territory of Zhoukou and the Shendan railway line stretches 149 kilometers.

Bus


The buses are available in 4,686 administrative villages.

Zhoukou City Central Bus Station: Middle section of Jiaotong Road, Chuanhui District

Zhoukou City Hehua Bus Station: No.153, Zhongzhou Road, Chuanhui District


Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 December 2010 22:44
 

Sponsor Ads